The construction of this project began in 1636, in the chapel used to work the ancient cathedral of the city.
In 1812 an earthquake completely destroyed the church, but in the year 1865 was completely rebuilt. However in 1950 another earthquake of greater intensity shook the city causing to the church to a new and greater damage. Because of this so painful and mysterious tragedy the Ministry of Public Works of the city decided to demolish the temple, remained as original pieces only the bell tower and clock.
Barquisimeto proudly displays this impressive structure which was completed in 1953, this new design was made by the architect John Bergcamp. The church is an expression of modern art which represents a contrast of simplicity and beauty.